I've been noticing a lot more Shopify stores have invalid title and description tags.
These are what Google uses for your search results and have a major factor in ranking, conversions, and customer trust building.
But now I'm seeing multiple stores per week with duplicate title and description tags, often with different content in each one. This can lead to a major amount of damage.
- Go to your store's homepage
- Right click and select the View Source menu option
- Use Ctrl+f to search for the text
- You should only have one result in the upper portion of the code (inside the
- If you have more than one then you're affected by this problem. Look nearby around for an HTML comment to find out who added the duplicate tags and contact them. (An HTML comment will look like this:
<!-- Acme Inc -->)
You might find some extra titles if you use SVG images.
If you're not sure, it's best to contact your theme developer and ask them. They should be able to tell you.
If you'd like a structured data app that follows Google's guidelines and is more effective than the rest of the industry at winning Rich Results, you'll want JSON-LD for SEO.